Friday, September 11, 2009

Rockin It

First of all - I will just say I can't believe it's been 8 years since 9/11. I also can't believe how long the war has been dragging on. And for many reasons, including that which makes us remember today, I am appreciative for what I have - basic freedoms, my health, family and friends.

Ok, now for less somber material. Just thought I'd share one of my favorite photos from living here in Portland. These cairns were set up, as if magically, near Back Cove. No one has ever claimed it as their work (as far as I know). I took these pictures last fall, but they've remained, in some form or another, in this spot over the past year.

Not sure why, but while I took this picture and others, I almost felt as though these structures were observing ME - as though they possessed a spirit to them. I felt almost somber being among them, like they were stoic soldiers overlooking the shore. Ok, a little dramatic, but you get the gist.


And, as a bonus, here's my own cairn that I left on Peaks Island this summer - to commemorate a beautiful day.

Wouldn't it be something so symbolic to build a cairn for every person who was killed, hurt or impacted by 9/11? What a monument that would be.

2 comments:

  1. I used to see cairns a lot when I lived by Willard Beach. I haven't seen the ones at Back Cove since we used to take our walks there. Let's start doing that again! I've missed walking & talking with you & D. Will try to remember to email you both about that.

    Have a fun weekend! Let us know if you spot any celebrities! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it's a collaborative effort, or random beachcombers pitching in...

    ReplyDelete